Is depression a Disability? You should know that depression is now second leading cause of disability in the world. Depression is nothing but mental illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts. These mental and physical feeling seem to follow them night and day, appear to have no end. Depression is alleviated by happy events or good news. Many people say that it is a sign of weakness. But it is wrong, depression is not a sign of personal weakness or not a condition that can be wished away. “Depression” this term is often used to describe emotional reactions.
Symptoms of depression are either weight gain or weight loss, poor concentration, loss of interest in activity that previously enjoyed, change in sleep pattern, insomnia depression, loss of energy, always feeling guilty, thinking about suicide.
Depression cannot disable people, not even connote disability. There are too many types of treatment that can manage depression. Antidepressants treatment is most effective treatment for people who have depression. Then we can use psychotherapy treatment. It is for those people who don’t give respond to antidepressants. There are too many types of psychotherapy that has no side effects and it has a good result. Most of the people feel better after psychotherapy. There are herbal and natural treatments available. Omega-3 fish is used as treatment for disability.
Relationship Between Depression Symptoms and Disability
People with major depression has higher rate of disability and people with minor depression with mood disorder has less disability. But patients of minor depression always lead to disability. The relationship of depression and disability is defined as linkage between poverty. The main cause of major depression is bad nutrition, which directly affect on her children. Thus depression is from heredity.
Claimants of Disability Must Follow Five Steps of Social Security Disabilities. Is Depression a Disability ?
Sometimes depression appears as disability and sometimes not. It all depends on type of depression and degree of depression. There is Social Security Disability benefit that is given to depressed persons depends on his or her degree of depression. Whether the person is able to take benefits of Social Security Disability is checked by Social Security Administrator by following way.
- If your earning is more that $500 per month, then it is not considered as disability.
- Second step is for checking basic activity such as reading, writing, walking, standing, hearing and speaking, handling.
- Third step to check whether depression disability meets medical criteria like whether patient facing a problem of poor concentration, change in sleep pattern, feeling low energy, change in weight, feeling guilty, suicidal thoughtA person with above symptoms is considered as depression disable. And there is no need to go to the fourth and fifth step. But he or she is not facing above problem then it is not considered as disability.
- Check whether person behave normally as previously like his walking, standing, hearing, handling, reading, writing, speaking all abilities are in good condition or not. If person does all this as he did previously then he gets the benefit of SSA. But if some of the above symptoms are not present then go to the next and final step.
- Test his other conditions like physical or mental condition as well as his age to determine whether he can perform other task.
Depression can happen at any age in life like finding disability at any age can happen. People who do not meet any basic mental demands of work would entitle a claimant to disability benefits. Social Security Routing describes that how people can understand, remember and follow instructions that he has been given. It also describes how an individual can make a decision, how give appropriately he responds and how to deal with problem.
Tag: Is depression a disability